The idea behind 'ivi' is to create ethical leather accessories for people who love wearing leather and also love making environmentally aware choices. 'ivi' designs are created to bring back simplicity and practicality into our everyday objects.
The label has been founded by Ivett Simon (Ivi) in 2016.
Ivi studied fashion design at Fashion Masters in Melbourne and won the Emerging Young Designer of the year title at the Australian Fashion Awards with her graduation collection. Her work has been exhibited at environmentally conscious fashion events in Melbourne, Hungary and as part of Berlin Fashion week.
Ivi takes inspiration from art, philosophy and architecture. Her general aesthetic is centered around clean lines, playful details and intricate surface finishes.
MADE IN AUSTRALIA
- We are based in Tasmania and have an in-house studio where we craft all our goods.
- Having a local space to make things helps us lower our environmental footprint because we don't have to ship our products around the globe during manufacturing
- We have a certification from Ethical Clothing Australia for the way we manage our production.
- We only use kangaroo leather, which is a food byproduct.
- Kangaroos are native to Australia and can easily multiply their numbers in a short amount of time. As a consequence they often end up extremely overpopulated, which means that they starve and also can potentially destroy their surrounding eco-systems.
- The leather we use is certified by the Department of Environment and Heritage, a government body that closely monitors the populations and ensures that only the male kangaroos are targeted, and are not caused unnecessary suffering.
- Kangaroo skins have been used by the indigenous people of Australia for thousands of years.
- Making is part of our design philosophy. Instead of coming up with a design idea and sending it off to a faraway land for it to be turned into reality we consider designing and making a two way interaction. Often our designs are influenced by a new way of making something and it also works the other way around.
- Making things by hand makes each object that leaves our studio unique.
- Often having a human touch means we can reduce wastage during production, this is especially true when it comes to cutting leather by hand versus laser cutting which produces more off-cuts.
LOCALLY SOURCED MATERIALS
- Our main materials such as our leather and leather dyes are made in Australia
- In some cases where there is no industry in Australia for the manufacturing, for example threads and small metal parts we still purchase these from local suppliers.
- For our more important metal closures we collaborated with local jeweller Ruth Evenhuis to design and custom make these parts.
- Leather tanning is one of the most environmentally hazardous processes that exist in the fashion industry today. Chrome tanning is done with chemicals, whereas vegetable tanning is the ancient method of leather tanning and only uses plant-based materials. Needless to say we only work with the vegetable tanned variety.
- We do use some paints and surface finishes, and these are all water-based and environmentally friendly.